BPY is for the Seekers. It’s for the soul searchers, the life lovers, the peace givers. And by that, we mean that yoga is for you. It’s for those who can’t touch their toes and for those who just finished their 15th triathlon. The great thing about yoga is that you already have everything you need: your body and your breath. So come Hang in the Balance. Take off your shoes and stay awhile. Lie down your troubles, then lie down your mat. Let your breath be your rhythm, your body be your guide, and bring some balance back in your world. Share in a community that shares through you. Gain Balance. Give Back. Get Bliss.
We believe that balance within leads to balance beyond. BPY strives to be a community in balance — bringing people and planet together and demonstrating the power of true sustainability. In Pantjali’s Yoga Sutras, and specifically in the Yamas and Niyamas, the ideas of personal and social responsibility are interconnected. BPY emulates this deep connection of people and planet, which is why we’ve built this space with these core principles of sustainability in mind:
For Our People
- Gaining Balance | We love humans. We especially love to help humans get back into balance, which is why we don’t just teach yoga, we practice yoga in true community with others. We are passionate about guiding your yoga journey and gaining inspiration from your yoga progression.
- Giving Back | Because we so deeply believe in the power of yoga, we want to make sure it is accessible to all members of our community. To do this, BPY offers a variety of classes with cost in mind: the Community classes ($10/class), the special Rise & Shine/Restore 6am classes ($8/class), and our donation-based Karma classes at least once per month (all proceeds go to a good cause).
- Getting Bliss | Not only does yoga have positive effects for our minds, bodies, and souls, but also the act of giving back is proven to make happier humans. According to a study by the National Institutes of Health and the Research Project on Gratitude and Thankfulness, giving not only makes us happy; it is actually good for our health. Even more, those same studies find that these feelings are contagious! That’s what BPY is all about — spreading good vibes for our people and our planet.
For Our Planet
- Smart Sourcing | Being eco-conscious means doing your homework, which is why we spend a lot of time consulting experts and reading up on the products that we use and sell in our space to ensure that everything we source is from other humans (and their companies) that care about the environment.
- Restoring Old Treasures | Before buying anything new, we try to buy used. When a product can be reused and reloved, we keep it out of the landfill and bring new meaning to our space.
- Inspiring Others | We want to create awareness in the yoga community to think deeply about what it means to live in balance with one another. Yoga studios bring tremendous opportunity to educate, share, and learn about living in harmony with the planet and it is important for us to use our space to bring sustainability into focus for all who come into our community.
This space is the result of being aware of our impact as consumers. We carefully consider the way that our choices impact our planet and our fellow humans. Knowledge is power, so we invite you to make suggestions for how we can more deeply live out our values and push the limits of what it means to be a community in balance. Whether you want to ask a question about our studio, share a new idea for reducing energy consumption, or suggest new products for our retail space, we would love to hear from you.
Here is how we have built our balance from the bottom up:
And we support other eco-friendly companies in our retail store: