If you’re a beginner at yoga postures [asana], you may wonder where to start. Yoga is an ancient practice that has become popular worldwide because of its many benefits for both the mind and body. It’s a great way to reduce stress, increase flexibility, build strength, and improve overall well-being. It is important to remember that there is so much more to yoga than the postures, and the benefits of regular practice extend well beyond being able to hold any pose. That said, here are some tips to get started with the physical side of yoga as a beginner.
- Choose the right type of yoga: There are many different styles of yoga, and it’s essential to choose the one that best suits your needs. Hatha yoga is a good option for beginners because it’s slower-paced and focuses on basic postures. Vinyasa or power yoga is more dynamic and faster-paced and may not be suitable for beginners who are just starting.
- Find a qualified instructor: It’s crucial to find a qualified yoga instructor who can guide you through the correct postures and breathing techniques. Look for a certified yoga instructor who has experience teaching beginners. They can help you with modifications if you have any physical limitations.
- Start slowly: Don’t try to do too much too soon. It’s important to start slowly and work your way up to more advanced poses. Listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard. You can always modify the poses to make them easier. We have a saying in yoga asana class – no pain, no pain [not no pain, no gain!].
- Practice regularly: Consistency is key when it comes to yoga. Even if you can only practice for a few minutes each day, it’s better than doing nothing at all. Try to establish a routine and stick to it.
- Use props: Props such as blocks, straps, and blankets can help you modify the poses and make them more comfortable. Don’t be afraid to use props if you need them.
- Focus on breathing: Breathing is an essential part of yoga. It helps to calm the mind and relax the body. Focus on your breath during your practice and try to synchronize it with your movements.
Balanced Planet Yoga hosts two beginner yoga classes on its weekly schedule – 645P on Wednesdays with Cheryl + 10A on Saturdays with Jannine. In conclusion, yoga is a fantastic way to improve your physical and mental well-being. As a beginner, it’s important to start slowly, choose the right type of yoga, find a qualified instructor, practice regularly, use props, and focus on breathing. With patience and practice, you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits of yoga.